Cinematic Confabulation v2

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Cinematic Confabulation v2

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Mod Edit: You can find the beginning of this conversation here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24

I don't mean this in a negative way towards any of you, but sometimes when we have these discussion I'm so glad that I can just enjoy things.

I respect the standards and opinions that some of you fellas have and I'm willing to accept that I'm just an irreverant, nothing's sacred kind of a guy - but some of these stuff just doesn't matter to me on any real level. I want legacies heroes. I want new ideas in new medias. I'm always ready to see something torn down and see what else can be made out of it.

To me GI Joe was serviceable and entertaining. It was a Stephen Sommers film and I knew that going in - I was hoping for more Mummy, less Van Helsing and I think that's what I got. Hawk & Breaker were my favorite Joes from the movie. Villainwise, I loved Destro (except for his "have I told you about my family" icebreaker) andI ABSOLUTELY loved Storm Shadow. I literally had to have that figure - unmasked specifically - after watching the film. I even bought him a motorcycle and the missile launcher later. :blush:

Anyway, I'm not advocating loosening up. You guys are splendid just the way you are. :lol:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Re: Cinematic Confabulation

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:13 pm

I do just enjoy the things, like the TF movies, but GI Joe I just couldn't do it.

TF were great because I love watching big things punch each other. And before it is said , Yeah I can tell who people are and know what is going on.
If you infuse your reality with positivity, victory is imminent.
Ebonhorn
Captain Commander of Awesome

Re: Cinematic Confabulation v2

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 pm

I know my previous rant-like post could possibly come across as a fanboy nerd raging that they changed things, but honestly, if it had been a decent action movie, I honestly wouldn't really care.

They could change all the names and have it be Captain Snakes fighting against The Ivory Assassin and I would find it odd sure, but if it was a good movie, I ultimately wouldn't mind.

It's only when they turn out a crap film that I feel entitled to pick it apart and question why they changed certain things, because their version didn't work.

And I'm in no way opposed to tearing things down to see what else you can do, but there was nothing new in this movie. It was a pastiche of stuff we've seen many times before, with some Joe stuff thrown in on top. There was no real story there, nothing to say about anything, just a go-through-the-motions attempt at a popcorn movie.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Ebonhorn wrote:I do just enjoy the things, like the TF movies, but GI Joe I just couldn't do it.

TF were great because I love watching big things punch each other. And before it is said , Yeah I can tell who people are and know what is going on.

Oh, I know. We all have our things. I mean, I don't enjoy Michael Cera and it's hard for me to appreciate any of his work. Jason Schwartzman either. I will never be able to truly appreciate the amazingness of Scott Pilgrim because those actors put me in a place where it's hard for me to enjoy. My question for you would be... was it something specific about the movie? Was it that GI Joe is closer to your heart than Transformers?

And Lay-Ze, I know you will enough to know it wasn't a rant. You're coming at these with a true appreciation for film and some high standards. I imagine you might even be willing to accept Storm Shadow firing a gun in a movie that was truly well done. :wink:
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:02 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:was it something specific about the movie? Was it that GI Joe is closer to your heart than Transformers?

Actually I think it's the opposite. For me the Original 1986 TF movie was it or me. That was my transformer high point. I didn't want these movies to top that. I didn't need them to be better than that. I just wanted big robot smashing fun, and that is what I got.

For Joe, I didn't have that ultimate story. I just had things that I really liked. I liked Duke was always a joe. It started with Duke, Stalker, and Snake Eyes. I like Cobra Commander being someone smart enough just to surround himself with the right people. The movie just didn't have anything Joe about it but the name. Also I just didn't like it. Duke sounded like he was doing a John Cena impression, Marlon Wayans was Marlon Wayans, and the whole family connection bit, Lay Ze mentioned.
Ebonhorn

Postby Tekwych » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Sorry, I stand by GI Joe as a good summer film and insist that Transfores was only just barley more watchabel than the recent Terminator film ( which I walked out on ). The Spiderman films were complete crap from real 1 of the first film, the first X Men film is watchable but nothing special, Hulk was a joke, Fantastic Four was a valid but to much time and effort was spent attempting to make a 'Tentpole' for the studio. I know I will get ripped for this but quite possibly the best super here scripts, after Batman Begins which stands alone in it's own league, would be Daredevil, director's cut.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Ebonhorn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm not going to rip you, I liked that cut of Daredevil alot.
Ebonhorn

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Tekwych wrote:Sorry, I stand by GI Joe as a good summer film and insist that Transfores was only just barley more watchabel than the recent Terminator film ( which I walked out on ). The Spiderman films were complete crap from real 1 of the first film, the first X Men film is watchable but nothing special, Hulk was a joke, Fantastic Four was a valid but to much time and effort was spent attempting to make a 'Tentpole' for the studio. I know I will get ripped for this but quite possibly the best super here scripts, after Batman Begins which stands alone in it's own league, would be Daredevil, director's cut.

Nah, I find all this fascinating.

I enjoyed Terminator: Salvation... Drop the last five minutes and I'd say I loved that movie.

I feel like the Spider-Man films tricked me, that the third one revealed a lot of flaws in the first two that I hand't noticed. The only thing I still like in those movies is Alfred Molina & Thomas Haden Church.

I liked X-Men, but it's always been a mix of bad and good performances.

I didn't have a problem with Hulk or Fantastic Four.

And Daredevil? That was a performance issue for me. Ben Affleck is a no go for me. I haven't liked Colin Farrel since he got 'big' enough to have less buttoned down roles (I like his early films). And Jennifer Garner? Eh... Oh, wait... Michael Clarke Duncan was pretty cool, so there's that.
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:00 pm

NoisyDvL5 wrote:I imagine you might even be willing to accept Storm Shadow firing a gun in a movie that was truly well done. :wink:

Yeah, that's it exactly. It's not that it's personally offending the Joe fan part of me. [smile]

It just shows that they don't really understand the source material, and it's getting tiresome to hear how all of these people are such "huge fans" of the properties, when they clearly are not. Well, or maybe they think they are, but they do seem eager to demonstrate how they are totally missing the point of the source material.

You guys were just talking about Watchmen, and that's a good example for me. No, the movie wasn't horrible or anything, it was fine. But IMO it showed that Zack Snyder didn't really get it. Watchmen the book wasn't "mature" because it had sex and violence, it was mature because it was layered, patient, and yeah, kind of boring. :lol:

And color me baffled on the Daredevil Director's Cut thing!
I haven't seen the whole movie (standard version I assume) but the couple of scenes I caught were really bad.
I can't imagine it was because of the editing!
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Lay Ze-Man wrote:It just shows that they don't really understand the source material, and it's getting tiresome to hear how all of these people are such "huge fans" of the properties, when they clearly are not. Well, or maybe they think they are, but they do seem eager to demonstrate how they are totally missing the point of the source material.

I think the source material doesn't mean the same thing to different people. Even our little group here seems to take different things out of the source cartoons. I love Optimus in the Baymovies because he perfectly exemplifies the character as I see him - and he carries the movies for me too. I think the Joe movie captured the soldier fantasy of the cartoon just fine - I can see a case that a live-action film could have been more grounded than the old cartoon though. My only problem with Joe was that it was an origin story. I'm excited for a second Joe film becuase I hope the Joes will be able to be full-on experiences Joes (though I wouldn't mind a couple new recruits).
NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Next

Return to The Green Room