Cinematic Confabulation v2

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Cinematic Confabulation v2

Postby Tekwych » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 pm

True, and two thirds of the states population live within a one hour drive.

Another thought on length, most films are cinema re-dos of other media. Trying to cut down a novel, even a graphic novel, to a two hour film script often means substantial cuts. If the movie industry were working with original material they could stay at the two hour mark but Harry Potter, to keep your target fan base, needs to hold on to as much material as possible.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:15 am

Did I mention that we watched Sharknado? Because I should have. That movie falls into the "so bad it's good" category for sure.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 am

To paraphrase MST3K: "We paid for a CGI shark model, we're gonna use the CGI shark model!"
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 pm

manekochan wrote:Did I mention that we watched Sharknado? Because I should have. That movie falls into the "so bad it's good" category for sure.

I think part of the problem I have with a lot of the recent Sci-Fi films is that they're trying to be so bad they're good. Part of a movie being so good it's bad is that the filmmakers were actually attempting a quality film, and it ended up being laughably terrible. With movies like Sharknado or Chupacabra vs. The Alamo, the filmmakers are making these films to be bad, so there's a wink and a nod to the audience, like a "Aren't we so clever? We're intentionally making crap!" And it ruins the mystique of the film being so bad it's good. It's just bad.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby manekochan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 pm

I think this is one of those movies that gets better when you watch it with friends. If I had watched it by myself it would have been too horrible to continue, but, with friends, it was just horrible enough.

Unlike Fright Night 2 which we watched last night. It was just forgettably bad.

On another note, I finally watched the commentary on Just Friends ( that 2004 Ryan Reynolds movie). That is one of the most fun and entertaining commentaries I've ever heard.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm

The commentary for "Anchorman" is fantastic. It has very little to do with the movie. At one point, Lou Rawls shows up for no reason, and he's even confused as to why he's there (not only was he not in the movie, but he hadn't seen it prior to commenting, and then he was only shown the part of the film he commented on, which was in the last half of the film). "Forty Year Old Virgin" is another great commentary, almost as funny as the film itself. Anything Joss Whedon does solo is highly insightful and very helpful for anyone curious about the storytelling process. Anything Joss Whedon does with other people there is just usually a riot. "Dr. Horrible" not only has a good commentary track, it also has "Commentary: The Musical", an entirely separate musical about making the musical.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby manekochan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah, I love Whedon commentaries. I think we watched all the Dr. Horrible stuff (seems like it) but I could stand to watch it again. ^^ I know I watched the musical one and I seem to remember it being annoying... The Cabin in the Woods one was so fun. Futurama also has some great ones and so does Venture Bros. Invader Zim, too. Man, I DID NOT LIKE Anchorman. I don't know why. I'm just kind of disturbed by it so I've not watched it more than once.
The funny thing about the Just Friends commentary is that it didn't have any actors in it. It was the director and writers and some of his friends telling their horrible dating stories and talking about how every fight between the brothers in the movie was real -- they were seriously just smacking each other around like real siblings. :) Heh heh. Which is what we wanted to know, actually... so it was good that they talked about it every time they came on.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:08 pm

http://www.ryot.org/video-haunting-first-trailer-of-godzilla-surfaces-online/403505

The first Godzilla teaser, originally screen at SDCC 2012, is now available online, though it was leaked, so see it while you can.

Which begs the question, why doesn't WB want to hype this movie? It took 15 months for this footage to make its way online, and even then it was an illegal leak that WB's been trying to shut down. The 2013 teaser hasn't been seen outside SDCC, nor has the footage from the Godzilla Experience. If you're not a huge G-fan tracking it online, you wouldn't know this movie existed. And if you didn't go to SDCC, you wouldn't have (legally) seen a single frame of footage from it.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Maybe they think that the less they reveal, the more ravenous we'll be for info and reveals as the release date approaches.

Or perhaps they're recalling the over-hyped train wreck that was 1998's Godzilla and want to set a different tone that will disassociate fans from thinking about that film. (The holes through buildings don't help, though.)

Or they're afraid someone is going to make a belaboured 9/11 connection, leading to mouthy idiots spouting off against the film in all available media, like a lot of special interest groups do whenever a new Star Wars movie comes out and they want to prove it's racist.

Frankly, I dunno how studios think these days, and I've given up trying to figure it out. I'm just glad it's not another freaking superhero film. };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:43 pm

They're clearly not going the '98 route, where no one saw the monster before the day of release. In this case, they're only showing it to people who go to SDCC, which seems bizarre. I can see debuting things in San Diego, letting the hype build for a few weeks, and then releasing the footage online. But in this case, they're hyping it at SDCC, and then letting whatever buzz they'd generated completely fizzle until the next year's show.

And if the trailer here and the creators' comments are any indication, it seems like they're actually making a pretty decent movie. The tone seems about right, with allusions to natural disasters and the atomic bomb. Definitely more respectful than Zilla in '98.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room