The Ink & Paint Club

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: The Ink & Paint Club

Postby Tekwych » Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 am

The new, more in line with the movie universe, Avengers Assemble animated series debuted on the 26th of this month but a full copy of episode 1 can be downloaded for free from iTunes right now.

Check it out
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am

Check out the latest Confessions of a Comic Book Guy - The first part where Steve talks about Frozen is OK but what really caught me was the second half where he talks about a conversation Paul Dini had with CN:

There's been this weird...sudden trend in animation, with superheroes. Like, 'it's too old, it's too old for our audience, and it has to be younger. It has to be funnier.' And that's when I watch the first couple of episodes of Teen Titans Go!, it's like those are the wacky moments in the Teen Titan cartoon, without any of the serious moments. 'Let's just do them all fighting over pizza, or running around crazy and everything, 'cause our audience--the audience we want to go after, is not the Young Justice audience anymore

The Japanese have proven over and over that animation is just another way to present a story to any age range. What distribution system do we need in North America to allow adult animation to flourish like it should / could?
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 pm

I read a recent article talking about how animation is all a vehicle for merchandising. They don't find it worthwhile to try and reach outside the target demographic of young boys because they think the money is all in toys.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 pm

I just read an interview with Paul Dini that said much the same thing. Shows like Green Lantern, Young Justice, and a few others were doing decent in the ratings (despite the network's best attempts), but they felt they couldn't merchandise them. The network actively wanted the producers to dissuade females from watching, because "girls don't buy toys." Dini's response was pretty much, "Make other merchandise." Girls might not buy toys, but they'll damn sure buy t-shirts, lunch boxes, notebooks, anything like that.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:01 am

and it goes without saying, girls will buy anything if it's a property they enjoy. toys/figures too. just give them decent toys, and they'll line up just like the boys do. one need look no further than the enduring legacy of barbie, or the newly minted crown jewel, monster high... girls will buy anything.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:48 pm

It's really a sad state in the industry or of the medium as a whole in the US. It's like "car-toons" have to be all goofball & whacky instead of being used as a serious medium to tell a story. You think they would have learned with shows like Batman: The Animated Series. To be honest I don't think a show like that would last even a season in today's market. It was a dark, dark show that didn't dumb things down for the audience but still managed to have a moment of levity every now and then. Avatar: The Last Airbender is another great series which managed to strike a nice balance between compelling, dramatic storytelling and humor.

It seems as if the only way we can get an adult oriented animated series for adults is if it’s a comedy and/or produced by Seth MacFarlane. You’ve got Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, Bob’s Burgers, Futurama, and Archer --- probably the most well-known, mainstream animated shows and they’re all comedies.

I guess there’s still a notion that cartoons are for kids. Fortunately the video game industry grew out of that misconception and it’s pretty well accepted that kids who grew up playing Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. have all grown up (have plenty of disposable income) and still want to play video games. Comic books have grown up with their audiences too, finally, not just playing to kids --- so why has the animation industry been stifled?
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 pm

this is why i repeatedly say, the action figure industry it not at it's health, but that's really only partially the fault of the video game industry. there are a lot of factors involved in the lack of the market for toys, but a huge part of the equation is the lack of market stimulus any more. if you start out thinking toys don't sell, you put no effort into selling toys... so when the crap you made doesn't sell, you were right.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby manekochan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 am

PrfktTear wrote:It seems as if the only way we can get an adult oriented animated series for adults is if it’s a comedy and/or produced by Seth MacFarlane. You’ve got Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show, Bob’s Burgers, Futurama, and Archer --- probably the most well-known, mainstream animated shows and they’re all comedies.

It's true. It's hard for people to get past animation being anything but comedy which is why I imagine only comedies get picked up. The exceptions would probably be Venture Bros and Adventure Time (I imagine those to be more the action genre) but VB isn't mainstream in the least and AT is mainstream but geared toward children. The fact that a large portion of its fanbase is comprised of adults doesn't really matter. If it changed to cater to adults it would be a different show. They have kind of realized it in part, offering merchandise for adults at Hot Topic, etc, but, for the love of crap, people... It's in, what? Season 5 and only 2 complete seasons are on dvd? Time after time Warner Bros. releases animated shows in partial dvds. It's so frustrating. I suppose we were lucky to get the seasons of BtAS in a (semi) season format way back when.
On another note, though, I'm so glad Bob's Burgers hasn't gone away. It really seemed like it would in seasons 1 and 2 but it's stuck around and keeps getting more fans. I hope we see it for a long while.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby manekochan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:01 am

PrfktTear wrote: --- so why has the animation industry been stifled?

I think it's because our society has seen them as child fare for the past 5 or so decades. It's become normal for people to insist that cartoons are something you grow out of. Helping perpetuate that are mediocre films-- can you remember how many Land Before Times there are? Have you ever heard someone say, "Well, it's a kid's movie," in reference to some terrible thing they were made to watch, dismissing it as "not that bad for the genre"? I have. It's the same kind of stereotype that presented us with the "Academy Award for Best Animated Feature." Having that category is, on some levels, a triumph. On other levels, it's a slap in the face. Creating a second category for animation just solidifies that the academy considers animated films to be lesser than their live action counterparts otherwise why would they need this throwaway category?
Pixar was a beacon of light in the industry pushing others toward greatness, driving themselves forward. They produced great movies. Even a mediocre Pixar movie (of which there were few) would still rate around a B. Now, as the staff is absorbed into Disney and they trade back and forth, it seems as though the Pixar movies are becoming worse and the Disney movies are becoming better. Everything seems like a conspiracy to me now but my original thought was that by stealing Pixar animaters and writers for their own branded movies, they could build the Disney name back up while making Pixar less competition. "They're the same company now-- they're not competition..." True, but they'd been making Disney movies look like trash by comparison for several years, tarnishing the brand. Tell me Cars 2 came from the minds at Pixar.
The other thing I've noticed in the past few Disney movies is this return to the musical format. While other studios have moved AWAY from musicals, Disney keeps trying to bring it back. This is another conspiracy thing, so take it with a grain of salt.
Both Tangled and Frozen have soundtracks that smack more of broadway than past Disney hits. I think that they are steering toward traditional broadway sounds so that they can easily translate these new films to broadway musicals. I explained this theory to someone a few days ago only to get a snarky, "You do know you're not the demographic, right? My kids loved the songs in Tangled."
Curious, I googled "Tangled the Musical" a few minutes ago to find that, yup, it's coming: http://disneyfanon.wikia.com/wiki/A_Tangled_Musical
They are already prepping a stage version of Frozen for the theme park as well. Like Aladdin, maybe it will eventually move to broadway, too.
With older hits moving to broadway (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin in 2014) who is to say they are not developing the stage versions simultaneously for new movies? Even this practice suggests that they still see animation just as a vehicle, not good enough to stand on its own. [constipated]
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Sorry, but I can't get behind anyone who's got an ill word to say about Tangled. That movie was great, and the songs are memorable. Alan Menkin in a goddamn machine when it comes to that sort of thing.

While I haven't seen Cars 2 (the first was easily my least favorite Pixar film. Which is not to say it's bad, it just wasn't my favorite, and then they focused the sequel around my least favorite character, Larry the Cable Guy), the rest of the Pixar crop still remains enjoyable. "Brave" was great (if not exactly what they advertised it as), Up, Wall-E. Toy Story 3 was depressing as starfruit though. My God, what a dark film.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room