Randomest Thoughts v3

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Randomest Thoughts v3

Postby manekochan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I was honestly looking forward to it. [grin] It will be fun!
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 pm

So i was just allowed to be part of a group given 10 hours of hands on with an Aldebaran Robotics NAO Robot. These are 2 foot tall, 25 degree of freedom, $16000.00 robots. Their flexibility is only enhanced by their sense of balance and the fact that they can take audio and visual cues to adjust or move within their programing gives them very humanistic feel in groups. The programing language is very intuitive and the fact that you can choreograph the NAO using a 3D CGI GUI makes this something anyone could do.

The NAO can use its audio receivers to take cues on what part of its program to execute. This means these guys actually dance TO the music not WITH it as most automatons. What most people don't notice in this video is that the interrupted robot can listen to the audio and find his place in the original program to comeback in line with the rest of his group:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeTI0H6 ... ata_player

To just see what kind of choreography these guys are capable of watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3I7tb6 ... ata_player
Or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZRKKwY ... ata_player

I can't wait for this level of robotics to become more affordable. Not only are there amazing educational opertunaites but I see uses in art, music, theatre and dance, along side computer science.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 pm

my oldest immediately asked how long it would take to program them for combat... behold the future. WE ARE DOOMED!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Wed May 30, 2012 6:16 am

Buy your Cyberdyne shares now!!!! :lol:
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Postby Tekwych » Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 am

You guys do know that the new USGS satellite constalation was given the name ...

SKYNET.

The first software update is scheduled to be uploaded this summer.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Wed May 30, 2012 11:13 am

Tekwych wrote:You guys do know that the new USGS satellite constalation was given the name ...

SKYNET.

The first software update is scheduled to be uploaded this summer.

they think that's funny, don't they? it's not. if skynet actually kills us all, i'm going to be very put out.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:38 am

listening to KT Tunstall's "Silent Sea" while trying to come down from the dumbest poetry assignment i've ever had to do... twice. i mistaken killed the original file and had to retype the whole fargin thing... it's been an emotionally draining experience that has just ruined my psyche, and now that it's over and done, i'm in a vegatative state in my computer chair. the church just came on "under the milky way tonight." another great song, and a gift from the radio gods... but i must away soon, or my brain will just turn to complete mush. 'night ya'll.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:42 pm

"Haures stood in the corner of the room where attila leossyr paced furiously. Still as a statue, silent as a loveless marriage, observing Scarabus' new favorite toy. The mad general had brought with him a wave of ruin and hopelessness and Scarabus loved it, but there was a lingering doubt in the back of his mind, something Haures had seen, and felt uneasy about. And so Haures stood, studying the subject, trying to decipher the madness he saw within the warlord's eyes. He caught the first glimpse during a black apotheosis service led by the Kantus. As he lectured and cast about the black miracles, every acolyte was ecstatic with the divinity of Scarabus, heads rolling to and fro, eye lolling about and a general foaming of the mouth... all except the Golden Lion. He knelt, head bowed reverently, but his face obscured both within his great helm, and behind his hands which were clenched over the hilt of his blade which he held close to himself. Quite as it if he were hiding behind it.

When Scarabus rose to give the sermon, every head in the place rocked and wobbled from the effects of the decisyllabic incantation Scarabus used to maintain morale and loyalty. Every head, except the War Lion Attila Leossyr's. Haures was assured that he was alone in observing a lack of movement by the other avatars, but he was nonetheless certain, and the Dark Talisman advised that he observe at greater length to assuage any concern. So far, he less at ease now than he had been then. Watching the creature pace in his cage, awaiting an assignment, he seemed genuinely mad, and Haures was not certain that any voice was cutting through from the world outside of his own head. The War Lion cackled and cajoled as he trained, in full gear, and never removed the helm that so clearly whispered in his mind and poisoned his soul with glittering hatred and resplendent bloodlust. He spoke to his sword with regularity, in a way that implied that it conversed with him, though neither Haures nor Nergall detected that the blade was intelligent or communicative at all. He clearly loved to be seen as benevolent by the people of the battle realm, though the more they adored him, the more dangerous he was. The most fervent zealots who came to him were all part of his trophy room, and evidently, likewise part of the ongoing dialogue he had with the world. He was effective in turning public sentiment against King Grayskull and his court, convincing the people that they were dangerous and out of control. His puissance was such that he had turned back two different he-men and several of the new gods who'd assaulted him. When pressed in battle, he unleashed the Roar, an horrible and cowering sonic blast that could route small armies at a blast. When in truly dire need, he would unleash Vitus.

Vitus the Blood Drenched. The Spear Faced Death. The War Master. Vitus the Whisper Stealer. Vitus, the Spear Tipped Waterfall. Vitus was a machine, not a man, not in the truest sense at least. While Haures had suspicions that Attila was not loyal, or at least held in magical sway, he knew, and so did everyone else, that Vitus was not loyal, not to Scarabus nor any of the Scarabeings, and he was loyal to Attila only so long as his service to Attila facilitated his devotion to his true master: carnage. Vitus wasn't even enamored of death, not really, though in service to his visceral pursuits, his ministrations mostly yielded death. Vitus lived for the arterial spray left in the wake of a spear thrust, for the music played in flesh as a steel bow was drawn through it, for the delicate juggling of limbs freshly slipped from control of their home corpus. He was an artisan of destruction, a battlefield magician who made lives disappear and limbs appear as if in the form of rain. His martial skill knew seemingly no equal, certainly not within the camp of Scarabus, not even his master who was a beast in his own right. Vitus was almost perfect, except that he only responded to Attila's command. He resisted the spells cast at him, both malignant and benign, though Attila also took care to limit his exposure to the Scarabeings. Like Attila, he seemed incorruptible, and this disturbed Haures to no end. Scarabus was not in the business of allegiance."
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Everything all right with Noisy, I wonder?
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to The Green Room