A Novel Approach

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: A Novel Approach

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:01 am

One way I've found to instantly take the joy out of reading is to make it assigned for school. The Hobbit is forever lost to me, now. (Mind you, I can't get much into these plodding stories about walking. Randall got it about right in Clerks 2).

The main problem I have with Pride and Prejudice, other than that I haven't actually read it, is that like just about all of those 19th Century female works, there was a HUGE explosion in televised versions last decade, and I could not shake a stick near the television without some costume drama featuring women mooning about the place in period dress. Like with the 1988 Batman film, I got so burnt out on all the hype, I lost any interest in the material.

Having said that, the perfect antidote to those was The Armstrong & Miller Show, and their regular sketch, The Filthy Quadrille. Can't seem to find any of the individual sketches on YouTube, but whole episodes are up, and I always laughed myself breathless on them. Definitely NSFW, though.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 am

Beedo Sookcool wrote:One way I've found to instantly take the joy out of reading is to make it assigned for school.

Very true. I used to be an avid reader, but when my family moved when I was in middle school, my mom signed me up for a book club at the library, and being assigned a bunch of books that I had to read that I had no interest in really killed the joy of reading for me.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby manekochan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

I read all the stuff they assigned but would get ahead of the class because they would only assign us a few chapters a day and I would just read the whole book. My teacher used to get annoyed with me. I would do it with my coursebook, too, though, not just books we were reading. In High School, I don't think I read any books that I didn't like but I was in the Honor's Class and they pretty much let us pick what we wanted to read (as a class). One semester we chose all Michael Crighton.
Most of the classics I read were by choice. I would pick stuff that a movie got me interested in and then I'd read the book that it was based on and then I'd move on to other works by the same author. I read a lot as a kid, though. We would go to the library a lot because we were poor. :p
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 am

The thing is, I absolutely adore reading, and have done since I was very young.

If I had to choose some of my favourite books, I'd go with those by Robert J. Sawyer, Dave Barry, Bill Bryson, and the Republic / Imperial Commando novels by Karen Traviss, off the top of my head. But I have to get ready for work, now, so I'm rushed. Could probably rattle on for a good hour or so, but I ain't got the time . . . .
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:58 am

I love me some Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Jane Austen, Dianna Wynne Jones. I also like Kim Harrison, though it's less now. I just recently discovered Edith Nesbitt on one of those free sites for public domain stuff. I thought the title looked interesting and I wondered if she was the Nesbitt that characters on tv are sometimes named for. I still don't know about that but she turned out to be this great fantasy writer from the early 1900s. I'm really enjoying her stuff and it's all public domain.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

manekochan wrote:I love me some Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman . . . .

So I take it you've read their collaborative work, Good Omens, then? I like going through the Neverwhere graphic novel and seeing what homages I can pick out.

I'm also fond of Douglas Adams, Spider Robinson's "Callahan" books, R. L. Aspirin (mostly the "Phule" books, but also The Bug Wars), any of the Red Dwarf books, and Carl Hiaasen, progenitor of the Seedy, Insane Floridian Comedy Crime Thriller genre. I also get a huge kick out of the Jetlag Travel Series books. And the mention in the Gaiman section gets me to thinking: also Alan Moore.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to The Green Room