Totally Tubular Confabulation

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Totally Tubular Confabulation

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Theres a thread to discuss movies, so I thought I'd make one to discuss television...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: Totally Tubular Confabulation

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:25 pm

What is your opinion of the returning shows? What about series premiers?

Here's a rundown of what I'm currently watching/DVR-ing...

How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Hawaii Five-O
NCIS
NCIS: Los Angeles
Modern Family
Criminal Minds
CSI
Harry's Law
The Big Bang Theory
Persons of Interest (new show)
The Mentalist
Blue Bloods

Part of me thinks I watch way too many shows, which is why I'm purposely not getting into anything new this season. I am watching Persons of Interest for Ben Michael Emerson and Jesus Jim Caviezel, though part of me does not think the show will last. I'm also going to take a peek at Terra Nova, but we all know how well new sci-fi shows fare on Fox... so I don't expect much. Interesting concept though.

Hawaii Five-O's return was good. I think they got things cleaned up a bit too neat & quickly though. It would have been interesting to have McGarrett out on the run as a fugitive, but I suppose since Five-O had been disbanded they needed to get that story resolved quickly. Ths show seems to be able to walk the fine line between being serialized and a regular police procedural.

Criminal Minds was good, but again, seemed like everything was a little too squeaky clean in the end... but I suppose what can you ask for from episodic television?

I was really kind of let down by Big Bang... I think the show eclipsed last year and right now its just kind of a caricature of itself. When it became all about Sheldon *knock* *knock* *knock* Sheldon... the show lost its funny.

The best of the week so far was The Mentalist though... big twist... and it looks like not all will be well with the CBI next week...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

out of the shows you listed, the wife and i watched two and a half men, BBT, HIMYM and modern family... and of them, i think modern family delivered the goods. BBT felt very rushed to get back to the status quo after the "cliffhanger" of last season, and yes, it wasn't terribly funny in doing so. that said, i don't know that i feel sheldon got too much focus, i just think he was the most notable at being unfunny.

two an a half men, i will probably not watch again. i really only watched that show cuz it was the first post-charlie ep, and hoenstly, it kind of made me mad. i don't get why, in response to charlie being a drugged-out psychotic the answer was "well, let's act like spurned little girls and get nice and vindictive." cuz that's what it felt like, was the first 20 minutes were a series of charlie dig's that hardly indicated a high road of any kind. why do they have to stoop to the kinds of mean-spirited rhetoric that he did? and honestly, they were about 1/10 as creative in doing so as charlie himself was... so he kind of proved his point about unfunny the writing was. that said, i've only watched the show about 3 times w/ my dad who loves it and i think the show's terrible, personally. they've kind of taken charlie's real life and mined it for comedy for years... and that's fine, he was well paid for that. i just don't think it's funny to laugh at someone w/ some obvious problems. it would be like employing geri jewell and making a show called "withered grip" and the whole thing is her being put in a series of sports scenarios. it's just mean.

HIMYM has, since the "marshall's dad's dead" stories, not really found its stride again as a comedy. it's kind of become a drama w/ comedic elements... and that's not cool. i've enjoyed the show for a while now, but this last season and a half are just becoming boring. they need to turn this around and soon, or the show might not last long enough to introduce the mother... and wouldn't that be ironic.

the one hour thing this year seemed like a good idea, but i feel like for everyone but modern family, it was too much show and not very funny. i hope it doesn't establish precedent for the whole season.

we also watch "the middle" and that too got a one hour start to the season and kind of fell through. i couldn't help but kind of laugh that the daughter was supposed to have just gotten her period... most girls these days are cracking not much older than 10 or 11 and she's supposed to be what, 14, 15? and really, the boobs are hurting her... they kind of betray that the actress is about 5 years older than the character she's playing. on a similar note too, holy CRAP the middle daughter on "modern family!!" i wish the freshmen girls at my high school had looked like that...

i'm also a big fan of ancient aliens, and that season's still rolling. i'm anxiously awaiting the debut of "anthony bourdain's the layover" in nov. that looks great. i also am looking forward to this newest season of top chef.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I don't think most regular 30 minute sitcoms can sustain an hour long format. I know The Office has tried to do it many times, but usually by the second half my mind starts to wander. A lot of it is about pacing too. Modern Family could probably be an hour-long all the time. I really love that show. It reminds me of Arrested Development, except not as funny.

I agree about HIMYM as well. The show really seemed to hit a stride knocking episodes out of the park one after another, but the Marshall's dad storyline really put a screw in the gears. I'll admit, I loved that episode and I am not ashamed to say I cried some salty man tears, but it hurts the show overall.

Maybe I was being too harsh on BBT, I'll admit, the second episode was much better than the first one.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:37 pm

yeah, i get that in comedies, serious things are allowed to happen, but the writing literally took a 180 after that, and the whole tone of the show is way more somber... and less funny.

BBT was ok, but it too seems to kind of have lost it's fun. it feels like they've pretty much hit every geek stereotype, so what's left? the ross and rachel moment for penny and leonard, and that seems to be have been completely abandoned. and whatsmore, priya is a fun character, i like her, and i like her w/ leonard, so if the penny leonard hook-up happened now, i'd feel dirty for losing priya. you know what they need? bizarro them. another team of nerds who move into the building, who are just rotten and mean-spirited, like think net trolls brought to life. the first thing do is fix the elevator, but lock out everyone else from using it w/ a passcode or something, to give the boys a mystery to unravel. priya moves back to the US to be w/ howard, but he cheats on her w/ penny and she finds out, so she starts seeing anti-leonard. penny won't talk to leonard cuz he's the cheater. the boys get out-done at the comic shop costume contest by the bizzaro crew, and bizarro sheldon takes sheldon's job and begins tormenting wolowitz and raj. there's at least 3 more seasons of story there easily.

modern family is friggin hilarious. i don't think i've seen one i haven't enjoyed... yet. but that kind of iron is hard to keep hot.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby twofisted » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:07 pm

I dont watch many sitcoms. Tho i DO watch Big Bang Theory. I still love that one. The last couple years i've seen all my favorite shows end. I watched most shows on FX. Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, The Shield. I was a lifelong Smallville fan. Of course the last 3rd of that shows run i wanted to throw my shoe at the TV hehe. Most of my most current TV watching is animated hehe

Venture Bros.
Thundercats
Young Justice
Brave and the Bold
Metalocalypse
Superjail

I also like

Childrens Hospital
Workaholics
Daily Show
twofisted
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:55 pm

yeah, i'm a never-miss daily show and colbert report fan. without doubt my two favorite shows on TV.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:23 am

dayraven wrote:modern family is friggin hilarious. i don't think i've seen one i haven't enjoyed... yet. but that kind of iron is hard to keep hot.

I agree with you there. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain the same level of writing they've managed to bring to the first two seasons. Most shows it seems need a couple years to develop before they really hit their stride and Modern Family seemed to hit the ground running. Only time will tell though. As much as I love Arrested Development it might almost be a blessing that it went out early while it was still (barely) on top. The first two seasons were fairly solid (as a rock) but by the shortened third season it seemed to loose a lot of its essence, at least for the MR F episodes. Though I wonder if that was the writers scrambling to try and change things up and bring in new people.

I like your idea about having a Bizarro or "Mirror Universe" gang from BBT. I was never a fan of Priya, but maybe thats just because I want to see Leonard and Penny get back together. I think by the end of this season they will. Perhaps the end of the show will see Raj get together with a supermodel! ;-)
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 am

i admit a certain bias towards priya cuz she's stupid hot. like scorching, molten lead hot. like princess of my cinnamon fantasies hot.

that said, i certainly wouldn't kick kaley cuoco out of bed either... though my wife might. :eek:
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Lay Ze-Man » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Some of the shows I've been watching and enjoying recently: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louie, Breaking Bad, Fringe, rewatching all of Deadwood on DVD, and highly looking forward to new seasons of Boardwalk Empire (which starts tonight) and Walking Dead. A few others I'm sure but that's off the top of my head.
HEROIC MASTER OF SLEEP :layze:
Lay Ze-Man
Captain American't Be Bothered...
Captain American't Be Bothered...

Location: Fantasy toy store where even adults can't reach the top pegs

Next

Return to The Green Room