Backing Things At KS

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Backing Things At KS

Postby Tekwych » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm

So you've heard of Kickstarter, right?

Kickstarter is a new way to fund creative projects powered by a unique all-or-nothing funding method where projects must be fully-funded or no money changes hands. Kickstarter is focused on creative projects. We're a great way for artists, filmmakers, musicians, designers, writers, illustrators, explorers, curators, performers, and others to bring their projects, events, and dreams to life.

We here at IAT have seen our friends at Backyard Legends successfully get their project funded.

I was a backer of the relaunch of Shadowrun Returns which managed funding at 459% of what they asked for.

So tell us, What have you found on Kickstarter? Have you backed any projects yet? Do you have an idea running around in your head that needs backers to help see it to fruition.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Re: Backing Things At KS

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 pm

I haven't personally funded a KickStarter --- I have mixed feelings about them. On one hand I think its a great way to get a project off the ground and certainly gives people the opportunity to do so. On the other hand it feels like everyone is doing these now, and while they all might be great causes or exciting opportunities --- one can only do so much.

I was intrigued by the first series of O.M.F.G. but not enough to jump in. When series 2 goes up for a Kickstarter I'll think about it!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I am involved with a Rocky Horror cast and we’re planning a national convention in 2013. We’re going to be ponying up the money for this event, but to break even I estimate we’ll need to sell between 300-400 tickets. We’ve already had lot of interest expressed in our event but we won’t really know until how we’ll do until ticket sales start rolling in --- and even then until all is said and done we won’t know whether or not we break even or not.

It was suggested to us that we create a Kickstarter to help subsidize some of the expense of throwing this Convention. I’m not really sure how I feel about that though. We expect ticket sales to start at around $70 for this four day event. We have hired a hotel for a function room and are renting out two venues in addition for our performances. On top of that we’re going to throw some real kick ass parties. We’re looking into guests but they can end up being a large portion of the budget --- and in the end you may not exactly get the biggest bang for your buck.

So I guess the thought was that this Kickstarter could help subsidize some of the expenses. We’re not exactly asking for a hand out, just some assistance to make what will be one hell of a party even better. We’ll certainly reward those who donate to the cause with some benefits, depending on how much I guess it could be their name in the program, VIP passes, admission to an exclusive party, drink tickets, or something else equally exciting.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:20 pm

I found this and wanted to support it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134 ... ric-boogal but at the time was broke so I just tweeted about it for a while trying to drum up some business for them.
I've thought about doing a kickstarter for a set of Halloween Academy Tarot cards. I thought that would be kind of fun.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'll back a well thought out tarot deck but the artwork for each card needs to offer subtle insight into its meaning within the reading not just look pretty. The Enchanted Tarot by Amy Zerner & Monte Farber is one of the most beautiful series of cards and readings just flow through the imagery. I always get my most accurate readings when using their deck.

After seven years WizKids is bringing back Mage Knight as bothe a video game and a miniatures game. They will be offering new miniatures using wheels that will allow for the classic rules or a new HeroClix style play.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673 ... f=category
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 am

Tekwych wrote:I'll back a well thought out tarot deck but the artwork for each card needs to offer subtle insight into its meaning within the reading not just look pretty. The Enchanted Tarot by Amy Zerner & Monte Farber is one of the most beautiful series of cards and readings just flow through the imagery. I always get my most accurate readings when using their deck.

Subtle meaning would definitely be best. I hate the ones that hit you over the head with it (like Rider-Waite) just because they're meant to speak to you. They don't do that if you don't like them or even if they're too rigid.
My favorite deck is this one here called the Miracle Tarot. It's always eerily accurate and I really love the shape and size of the cards. It's really kind of odd that I like it so much because the minor arcana doesn't have any art on the face. It's just the items but, for some reason, they speak better than the ones with images on them.
I kind of a have/have had a tarot collection. The Art Nouveau Tarot, The Halloween Tarot, the iGatti tarot (one of my favorites to look at, but not really my favorite to use and it's only the major arcana. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gatti/ ), the Clow cards (though not really tarot, they can be used for it and I really enjoy them. I tried translating the Clow Book to read what their meanings are and, actually, just found what I started a few days ago. My Japanese is so bad it looks like gibberish to me now. At any rate, they're not in Japanese on the actual card so you can interpret what you want to from the pictures and the word. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/clow/ Even though the artwork is simple, they can work really well depending on the spread you use) , Escaflowne tarot cards (these are not a complete set. They have only the major arcana and a few random cards. They are odd. Cups are rabbits, swords are dragons and that's all I remember) I've sold off some others like the Vertigo set. My Rider-Waite was given away, my Cat People Tarot and my Thoth Tarot were both stolen from my car. I really liked the Cat People one but I'm spoiled by my Miracle Tarot and, when I found another Cat People one, decided I didn't like it as much as I used to. The Thoth tarot I was not entirely keen on in the first place. It used to give me a weird feeling when I used it. I don't know how much I would mind it or not mind it now. I have some more lying around the house, like the Faeries Oracle deck (which creeps me out so I haven't tried it) and some kind of Goddess Cards or something. For some reason, I seem to think I've got the Druid Animal Oracle, but I don't remember buying it... How did I see it, then?... hmm....
I got out of collecting them several years ago so now they have to really catch my fancy for me to pick them up.
I did do a set of the 22 major arcana for someone a few years ago but they were for a single character so they had to stay on theme and they were only 2.5x3.5 in size. Real cards would have to be done much larger and then scaled down. That and I'd spend a lot more time designing each one. [grin] At any rate, that would be a long time coming. I haven't worked on it at all except in a passing, "that would be cool" way. I'd have to get a plan and layouts, notes, etc together and have to be several months in before I'd bother with a kickstarter thing (doesn't make much sense, but I would want to make sure I could handle 22 or 52 cards so I would want to do a trial run of at least 3).
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby manekochan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Nevermind! [grin] I finally figured out the other day that a Halloween Academy board game would be much more in line with the characters. I've already got way more work done on it than I ever did on the fledgling tarot card idea. I am so excited about it. :) A kickstarter for it would still be about a year away, though.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby NoisyDvL5 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:19 pm

NoisyDvL5
Admirastrator
Admirastrator

Postby manekochan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 pm

That shark thing is hilarious! [grin] :love:
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 am

Hero Project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gog ... d-cultural
Great idea from two of the guys behind the GI Joe Sigma line. They know what their doing, have a great vision and just need the money to create a line of hero toys based on as many world cultures as they can.

Shadowrun online:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196 ... run-online
just as Shadowrun Returns is going to be a single player game in the Shadowrun universe This is a MMO that will be similar to Guild Wars (pay once, play forever) and a play for free version.

Check them out
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to The Green Room