Backing Things At KS

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Backing Things At KS

Postby PrfktTear » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Funny thing is, I barely remember Skeleton Warriors. They were barely a blip on my radar, right there along with Cowboys of Moo Mesa and Street Sharks. Still, I think the designs are pretty cool, and even just to have some generic Skeletons would be awesome. I love Baron Dark. I did pick up a Baron Dark figure on the cheap at Big Lots in the early '00s and would love to add one to my collection.

I forgot about the H.A.C.K.S. --- they're also really cool. Same for the Legends of Cthulhu, but most likely I won't be able to swing those ones. Despite being great projects worthy of being backed I just can't afford to back them all!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:00 am

you just said cowboys of moo mesa and i fell backwards into concentric yellow spirals in slow motion... man THAT is a name i thought no one else knew. thanks for that trip down amnesia lane prfkt!

BTW prfkt, if you're looking for a random skeleton figure to fill out some evil undead army, you might want to check this out... http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p2675179 there's a fwoosher named strangefate who has done a slew of 3D printed pieces on shapeways both for motuc and 6 inch toy lines, as well as building his own damned figure. he's worked out an articulated 6 inch scale skeleton with articulation which should run about 30 bucks to print. testify!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:44 pm

The Cowboys of Moo Mesa were actually featured in some late issues of TMNT (or possibly "Tales of the TMNT"), back at the tail end of when Mirage still had the Turtles rights. So, within the last 5 years or so.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:19 am

so... vitruvian just lost my dollar. they didn't do anything wrong, but i've been really lamenting that price tag, and the scale, and the fact that'd be 115 bucks in before getting access to the blanks, the version of the toy i would most want.

and then this happened...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ion-figure

there is no way i can't back this. he looks great, the price tag is right, the scale is right, and damned if i don't love me some christian mythology!! bring on the demons and angels!!!!!
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:21 am

I saw that yesterday, and while the prototype looks great, the presentation isn't very professional, and this guy doesn't really give any info on how he'll actually be able to make this happen. "I've worked in toy design for 15 years" (and no examples given of figures he's sculpted or companies he's worked with) and "I can mass produce my own action figures" are two very different things. The fact that he's two days in and has raised less than $2000 out of an $85000 goal doesn't instill confidence that this project will succeed.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Yeah, his kickstarter definitely needs a spit shine but he's not that far into a professional looking prototype with no real experience. I want some industry info on this cat, he needs to discuss his bona fidas
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Ideal » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:01 pm

dayraven wrote:and then this happened...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... ion-figure

there is no way i can't back this. he looks great, the price tag is right, the scale is right, and damned if i don't love me some christian mythology!! bring on the demons and angels!!!!!

yeah, i posted a link to that over on sourcehorsemen yesterday. i think it looks pretty cool, and that flaming sword is badass. i'll be checking in on that one often for updates (especially that Demon figure stretch goal)
Ideal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tekwych » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 pm

dayraven wrote:Yeah, his kickstarter definitely needs a spit shine but he's not that far into a professional looking prototype with no real experience. I want some industry info on this cat, he needs to discuss his bona fidas

He has never attempted mass production on his own before and has been known to stretch or miss dead lines on commissions. I am uncomfortable backing this one and will sit back and watch. I do wish him and his backers well.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:49 am

Tekwych wrote:
dayraven wrote:Yeah, his kickstarter definitely needs a spit shine but he's not that far into a professional looking prototype with no real experience. I want some industry info on this cat, he needs to discuss his bona fidas

He has never attempted mass production on his own before and has been known to stretch or miss dead lines on commissions. I am uncomfortable backing this one and will sit back and watch. I do wish him and his backers well.

this right here... this is the kind of stuff i need to know. thank you tek. [smile] i too will sit back and watch...

it disappoints/scars me that a simply google search for the guy, to get an idea of what his portfolio looks like, turns up a bad relation over some predator garage kits. it wasn't even hard to find, and his work on the capo toys SF line, which has gone completely quiescent, seems to be the only work of his that would demonstrate anything looking like the competencies to complete this project. hell, michael looks like he was built on the ryu body... i would be way more comfortable backing the project if i knew ryu was worth a crap. [smile]

that said, i intend to watch it with a close eye, as the figure looks great and would seemingly pair well against the gothitropolis stuff from the 4H.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby dayraven » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:54 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81 ... sts/881921

for the record, the boss fight guys should teach classes on how stretch goals should work. hot DAMN! they've slowly worked to iron out every kink one might have in their initial presentation. responsiveness... it's not just something we enjoy in bed.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room