Backing Things At KS

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Backing Things At KS

Postby dayraven » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:09 am

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/5893 ... oject.html

this interview leaves me with some greater sense of confidence that i had that he could actually complete the project... but he gets into "man, these guys tried to steal my stuff and ruin my rep," and it feels very geoff beckett. dammit i wish he hadn't said that, just be professional, say you wanted more independence or something, and rise above petty disputes.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't think professionalism requires that he lie, though he probably could/should have glossed over a lot of that and said he'd had some bad deals and wanted to do his own thing, in one or two sentences.

Although at this point, it doesn't look like he's at risk of making his fundraising goal, so it's somewhat moot. He's less than 5% of the way with less than two weeks left. We'll see if he puts his money where his mouth is and, like that interview claims, he'll, "find a way to get the Archangel Michael manufactured one way or another."
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby dayraven » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I didn't advocate that he lie, I suggested he take a higher road narrative and simply say he wanted to start his own gig. I put plenty of words in my own mouth james, I don't need your assistance.

You are correct though about him not making it this time, that appears a foregone conclusion, but I think even doing the same basic campaign with better polish would get him further. If he wants any kind of success guarantee though, it seems obvious that he will need some actual stretch goals. One clear variant does not a stretch goal make. Something like doing alt decos or accessory packouts would help, but he needs some real variants, rank and file angels with minimal add ons that turn into stretch goals.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Legion XIV 1:18 Scale Figures
4" female action figure with full articulation. Its a solid studio with many successful products but a lot of unfunded KS projects. I'm backing this to try and give them the leg up the need to hit the next level of awareness that I think their work already deserves.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 am

and you say these guys are a more reputable outfit that rocko notasknowballschance?
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Tekwych » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 am

I'm saying they have a better track record for their own production and distribution at KS project levels than Rocko. Rocko has worked for big companies and had his figures mass produced by others and can do one off commissions (most of the time). These guys have released two high quantity figures through a Facebook page and have a successful KS project already under their belts with very few detractors.

And I like their stuff. Who doesn't need more 4" plastic women? [grin]

Today started a project to get African American Barbie to South Africa - Great idea and hope he succeeds but his starting backer level is $100.00 and he does/t seam to quite get crowd funding and the word of mouth he needs to build up. I wish him luck but without some major re thinking of the project I don't think he'll make it.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 pm

to be completely honest tek, i prefer my women in the 6 to 7 inch scales. [smile]
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:59 pm

I may be slightly biased, but I think this book sounds like the bee's knees, or whatever the kids are saying these days:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079412719/angeldemon
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby Tekwych » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Heroes of the World: Durga Action Figure

If nothing else please go look at the sculpt / articulation of the upper arms. Some impressive work.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Two things I just saw on Kickstarter that I think might be worth a look:

1) Mega Man X 6" figure

Looks really nice. The down side is that, even though the creators' state goal is to make an awesome, affordable 6" Mega Man, the figure costs $80. For a 6" figure. Yes, it's a little larger than a Figuarts, but even buying on of those from Japan and having it shipped to the States only runs around $40-50 dollars, and with Bandai/Tamashii, it's a known entity and you know for sure what you're getting.

2) Civil War Batman

If I were rich and nutty (well, I'm already one of those things), I would totally fully back this Kickstarter just to see what would happen. For real, this guy wants to make a Batman comic that sounds essentially like a cross between "Batman: The Blue and the Gray" and "Batman/Superman: Generations," and he of course has absolutely no rights from DC whatsoever. I'd be very curious as to how this guy's submission even got past the Kickstarter review process. Maybe the people there are just as morbidly curious as I am to see what would happen.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Green Room