Favourite Songs, Themes, Tunes, Riffs . . . ?

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Favourite Songs, Themes, Tunes, Riffs . . . ?

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 pm

There seems to be a lot of music sneaking into the Favourite Sound Effects topic, and I have a feeling that music will be even more successful a topic to discuss. I don't mean songs or bands, but background music, theme tunes, ditties, or pieces that have broken away from their creator and embedded themselves in pop culture. For example, the album Indo-Jazz Fusions doesn't rank very high on the global cultural awareness radar, but a lot of people have heard Acka Raga in one form or another, most probably as the main sampled theme in From Rusholme with Love.

So, are there any music stings or themes that get your spirit soaring with joy or otherwise moved?

To list but a few of my own . . . .

Doctor Who: The classic intros, of course, and most of the modern stuff by Murray Gold, including the villain themes, but I think the Oodsong pieces are incredibly good.

Futurama: Mostly the main theme and its variations, but it's all pretty dang good.

The Tick: Everything from the 1990s cartoon. How many other cartoons feature scat themes? Not that many. Needs its own 2-CD soundtrack. In fact, why aren't there more cartoon soundtracks out there? The CD that came with the 30th Anniversary MOTU set was demipygous; they could've included loads of good tracks, instead, they had only 11 tracks, 6 of which were split between two themes.

The Ode to Joy: As PT rightly points out: goosebumps.

Super Mario Brothers Games: Also as PT rightly points out, some nifty and upbeat themes, a few of them globally recognisable.

Carmina Burana: All of it. Carl Orff might have become a particularly vile Nazi later in life, but this magnum opus of his is outstanding. That's why bits of it get used everywhere.

The Imperial March: Not Elgar's. The Star Wars one. Duh.

Street Fighter II: In particular, the themes for Edmond Honda, Chun-Li, Blanka, Vega, and Dhalsim. I once used a recording of the Dhalsim level to demonstrate to a university professor that the composer had a good knowledge of ragas with a 15-beat tala. Got me extra credit in a fun elective, so it's got that going for it, too.

Batman: The Animated Series: Everything.

There're loads more, but those are the ones that spring instantly to mind.

C'mon, you know you want to chime in . . . .
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Re: Favourite Songs, Themes, Tunes, Riffs . . . ?

Postby PrfktTear » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Does anyone here watch "Person of Interest" on CBS? I absolutely love the music from that series. The guy who does the music, Ramin Djawadi, also does music for Game of Thrones. Kinda cool. There are a few recurring themes that are heard throughout the show, such as "The Machine" theme and each time there's a new variation on the same motif. It's really cool. Also Mr. Finch's (Michael Emerson) theme is neat.

I love pretty much any music composed for Ronald D. Moore's reimagined Battlestar Galactica by Bear McCreary. Particularly Passacaglia and the re-worked All Along the Watchtower. Bear is currently working on The Walking Dead and I'm loving what he's doing on that show as well!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Recently, I watched Ripper Street and that had some great music. I'm a sucker for some dulcimers. Also for ukulele, but that's different. :P
Batman the Animated Series Seconded. :)
Bob's Burgers Omigod!!!! Is anyone else watching this show? It's freaking brilliant. From the ukulele opening to the show tunes and boy band parodies. Oh jeeze. It's magic. http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/bobs-bur ... songs.html Check out "This is Working", "Coal Mine" and "Electric Love". And how this one didn't make the list, I don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmy9CTn6xMs
Yoko Kanno and Hajime Mizoguchi Separate or together, both of these composers are great. Together they worked on Escaflowne, one of my all-time favorite anime, and Please Save My Earth, another favorite if you like to be depressed as all hell. At any rate, the beauty of their music is incredible. Here's the ending theme to PSME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YACSbe0fnE0 which pretty much never ceases to make me cry.
Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight-- all Yoko Kanno, and Jin-Roh, both of them respectively. Mizoguchi was the composer on Jin-Roh while Kanno was a pianist this movie. Here is my favorite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPz_lkRJPq8
The Twelve Kingdoms Though a lot of this anime's better music seems to be taken from a "clip music" collection, this is still a great showing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzbzxyJo9RA 12 Kingdoms at 6:05
Matlock Theme 9_9; I don't know why. Vault makes fun of me for having this on cds and stuff but I like it. The horns are so friendly.
Mighty Mouse Theme Another one that I love.
Arrested Development Yeah...
Dead Like Me Opening. I thought it was called Comparssa but I don't see that anywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbEKFVcGhjc
Community Oh, wow. Just wow. The incidental music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkkdp- ... 72CCE9C405 , the specifically written songs, all of it. It's just great. Somewhere Out There makes me cry. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouIzZR3pzQ
Ghibli movies After a while you get tired of Joe Hisashi. I know, sacrilege, right? But I love this one from the Cat Returns with ukulele http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoDrRCibhA Spirited Away has a gorgeous soundtrack and bits of Howl's Moving Castle are great. Any Ghibli movie, really, is going to have some beautiful stuff in it but Kaze Ni Naru (the above link) and Katzenblut from The Cat Returns get stuck in my head quite a bit. Country Road, the version throughout Whispers of the Heart also gets stuck in my head so I'm singling them out.
Skyrim Daaaang.... Just hearing it, I'm like, "Time to get my bow..." .... yes... I primarily use a bow in the game cuz I'm retarded. Tell me this music doesn't make you want to go out and kill stuff? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyBE_uhDxrM
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby PrfktTear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Adventure Time, the opening theme and the closing credits, "Butterflies and bees" --- so pretty.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah. The songs from Adventure Time are great though hard to find in their original form for download. There are all these remixes out there and I'm just like, "ALL I WANT IS THE FREAKING ENDING THEME!" [constipated]
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm

Speaking of music from kids shows, you know what kids show had awesome music? Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Not just the iconic opening theme, either (though that is awesome), but all of the battle themes during the first few seasons. 5-4-1, Fight, I Will Win, on and on down the line. Ron Wasserman, the guy who solo composed and produced all the music for the show, recently rerecorded a selection of the songs, entitled "Power Rangers Redux." It's available on bandcamp.com for anyone interested.
JamesLynch
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Postby manekochan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 pm

We have the OST for Gokaijer. That show is so much fun. :)

Katamari Damacy Game: $19.99; soundtrack: $29.99. You Japanese bastards! We grudgingly paid it for this beautiful gem of a soundtrack. If you've never played it, well, damn... find yourself a copy for cheap. Here are some of my favorites from the first Katamari OST:
The Wonderful Stars Walk is Wonderful
Lonely Rolling Star -- This one gets stuck in my head a lot. It is on the first level, I think, though, so it's one of the ones you hear in full first.
Opening Theme How this crazy game got made I have no idea but the opening should give you some idea of what the heck you're in for which is just freaking insanity.
Training Theme

The second game has some wonderful music, too. We Love Katamari is fun game with some innovations on the first but I can't get past the music. It's so good that it's distracting.
Everlasting Love One of my favorites from the second game. Still gets stuck in my head a lot.
Katamari Holiday Again, gets stuck in my head even after not playing the game for years. Unfortunately, songs like this are my undoing in the game. It's too slow to roll to. I lose my sense of urgency and eff up my mission.
DiscoxPrince I just find this one funny...

Chrono Cross I will mention this game and await the inevitable conversation about Chrono Trigger but, in the meantime, this game has some gorgeous music. The first time I heard the opening I was floored. Much of the incidental music is beautiful, too.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby dayraven » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:06 am

the soundtrack to the escaflowne movie is one of my favorite movie scores maybe ever.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Speaking of movie soundtracks, there is one film that is frustrating me: Time Bandits.

There's a particularly upbeat festive piece of "traditional" music used in the court of King Agamemnon when the dwarves are dancing about in a plot to kidnap Kevin back. Love that piece. I could've sworn I heard it on NPR about 15 years ago, when we were still living in Ohio, and it was called Bacchanale, by Gustav (or possibly Gustave) DuPre. Even ignoring the first name, I can't find anything that sounds like it.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby manekochan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:36 am

[quote="dayraven"]the soundtrack to the escaflowne movie is one of my favorite movie scores maybe ever.[/quote
Friggin' love Escaflowne. I love Sora. That piece always makes me cry. I also love Black Escaflowne. But, I'm a series girl at heart. While I love the movie soundtrack the series tracks always get to me. I didn't want to go too into it because I could just gush about Escaflowne for 20 minutes.
I made this youtube channel some time ago and it has many of my favorite Escaflowne tracks on it. Scroll down to 29 to find them, though Sora is up there around #10.
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to The Green Room