Favourite Songs, Themes, Tunes, Riffs . . . ?

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

Re: Favourite Songs, Themes, Tunes, Riffs . . . ?

Postby manekochan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 am

Beedo Sookcool wrote:Speaking of movie soundtracks, there is one film that is frustrating me: Time Bandits.

There's a particularly upbeat festive piece of "traditional" music used in the court of King Agamemnon when the dwarves are dancing about in a plot to kidnap Kevin back. Love that piece. I could've sworn I heard it on NPR about 15 years ago, when we were still living in Ohio, and it was called Bacchanale, by Gustav (or possibly Gustave) DuPre. Even ignoring the first name, I can't find anything that sounds like it.

Try some different things on here: http://meertens.musipedia.org/
If it's classical they can usually find it. Newer stuff, I haven't found anything for. But, it's helped me find some odd things stuck in my head.
Brock: Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
manekochan
Commander
Commander

Postby Tekwych » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

For those with an Apple TV, an iOS device or a copy of iTunes be aware that iTunes Festival 2013 has started. 30 days of free concerts being broadcast world wide from London's Roundhouse as simulcast and On-Demand.

This year's lineup:

1 September - Lady Gaga
2 September - Sigur Rós supported by Polica
3 September - The Lumineers supported by Phox
4 September - Paramore supported by Fenech-Soler
5 September - Rizzle Kicks supported by Eliza Doolittle
6 September - Queens of the Stone Age supported by Palma Violets
7 September - Phoenix supported by Little Green Cars
8 September - Bastille supported by The 1975
9 September - Arctic Monkeys supported by Drenge
10 September - Jake Bugg supported by Valerie June
11 September - Kings of Leon supported by Jimmy Eat World
12 September - Elton John supported by Tom Odell
13 September - Avicii supported by Henrik B
14 September - Chic featuring Nile Rodgers supported by Janelle Monáe
15 September - Vampire Weekend supported by The Olms
16 September - Jack Johnson supported by Bahamas
17 September - Ludovico Einaudi supported by Agnes Obel
18 September - Thirty Seconds to Mars supported by The Family Rain
19 September - Kendrick Lamar supported by Schoolboy Q
20 September - Primal Scream supported by Skinny Girl Diet
21 September - Haim supported by Gabriel Aplin, Bipolar Sunshine, and Dan Croll
22 September - Ellie Goulding
23 September - Jessie J supported by Lawson
24 September - Robin Thicke supported by Aloe Blacc
25 September - Pixies supported by NO CEREMONY///
26 September - Tinie Tempah supported by Naughty Boy
27 September - Dizzee Rascal
28 September - John Legend
29 September - Justin Timberlake supported byMikky Ekko
30 September - Katy Perry supported by Iggy Azalea and Icona Pop

I'll be honest, I don't know half these bands but 30 days of free concerts in my living room will likely mean new music in playlists. Check it out!
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:35 am

That entire lineup is a great argument for why I'm in no rush to get iTunes. The only bands I know I can't stand either their music, or the people in them, or both. And that's only about four or five acts. };D
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
- Lord Edmund Blackadder, from Blackadder II
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Beedo Sookcool wrote:That entire lineup is a great argument for why I'm in no rush to get iTunes. The only bands I know I can't stand either their music, or the people in them, or both. And that's only about four or five acts. };D

And that is the exact same reason I love iTunes Festival. Most of the openers and some of the headliners (Haim) only have a first album or just an EP so I don't know who they are. This is a chance to see these freshmen drop into a large arena with an international audience for the first time. I know what I don't like and can avoid those acts (although I try to watch every performance so I can be an informed of Lady GagGag) Had I not watched last year I would me missing out on Haim and Lianne La Havas, two openers from last year that impressed me enough to buy all of their recordings to date (2EPs, 1 Album and 4 live tracks from the festival itself - Less than $15.00)

Phox and Polica have been enjoyable performances this year but I'm not going to but their albums or even add them to Pandora. Who knows what jem I will find, if any, this year but who cares, its free music.
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 am

Well, free, that's another matter entirely.

The other problem I have, though, is modern technology. I don't get it. It seems every time I choose a piece of technology, I soon have people coming out of the woodwork saying "Why'd you buy that? You'd've been better of buying Such-And-Such with 3.4 Teraflop wibblies and enhanced dewberries." or something of the sort. They never tell me this BEFORE I make any purchases. So I've got an MP3 player I can't use (which turns into Soundwave), a laptop computer with iTunes and WiFi capabilities (present from an ex) and a desktop (to replace a perfectly good 12-year old computer with which I could do just about anything I needed or wanted to), both of which I can't figure out how to make soundtracks on or even find out where the music I've just copied has disappeared to. And what library of music I've somehow managed to transfer from my old computer and actually know what file it's in is almost all WMVs.

Used to be able to crank out soundtracks like crazy, ranging from the truly Medieval to Swedish Techno-Thrash-Speed-Metal-Country-and-Western. Now I don't even know how to copy a single track. And nobody I know has any time to show me how to do anything on these new computers. I don't see why they had to go and change all the programs so drastically. Windows Media on the ME system was so bloody easy and intuitive, even I could operate it without training. Now, nothing I try seems to work.

(And for any well-intentioned individuals intending to explain how perfectly easy it is to do all that I want -- just do this, this, and this -- it's no good wasting time writing out instructions. I'm 12 years behind and need to be shown.)

>Sigh.<

But to stay on topic, I finally managed to track down something I've been looking for for ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jli3ruqWYlc
(The magic begins at 2:49)

A bit of creative searching finally led me to the Gregorian Chant album the piece comes from, and Amazon assures me the CD is on its way. Bliss.
". . . cross me, and you'll soon discover that beneath this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 am

I got out of professional audio about the time Alesis started their second generation of ADAT Digital Audio Tape so I too am behind the times when it comes to audio on a computer. Their are kids at work who were not born when I graduated teaching Logic Studio to musicians for use while live on stage - WTF! :?
Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Tekwych » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Tekwych
Captain
Captain

Postby Beedo Sookcool » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Very pretty lady. Shame about the voice.
Beedo Sookcool
Captain
Captain

Postby dayraven » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:08 am

finally snagged up abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus by nick cave and the bad seeds. it's been on my "to buy" list for quite a while, but i just never pulled the trigger. today was the day and boy am i glad, i needed a hot injection of fresh seed.
Prying open my third eye
dayraven
Captain Icon O'Clast
Captain Icon O'Clast

Postby PrfktTear » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 am

On a whim after seeing someone post about him, I loaned several Garth Brooks albums from the public library and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I've never been a "country" fan --- in fact it's always been my least favorite genre next to polka and rap* but after several years of not really finding myself caring at all about music. Usually I just throw on the local modern rock station that plays a mix of mostly '90s and sprinkles in whatever the latest turd Florence and the Machine, or Percical Starfruit and the Mangosteen Collywobbles have squeezed out...
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to The Green Room