eBay

Not even we can talk toys all the time. Kick back and relax with the friends and staff of ItsAllTrue in the Green Room!

Moderators: SilntAngl5, Ebonhorn

eBay

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Just wanted to post a thread here about eBay.

I've been a member now for about thirteen years and in that time I've had nearly 200 transactions (buying & selling). It used to be kind of lucrative to sell there, but now it seems more geared towards so called "Power Sellers" or those who run businesses rather than the individual who is just looking to unload a few items here & there.

Obviously eBay wants to be THE go to spot for online shopping and are in direct competition with Amazon, which puts pressure on them to put pressure on their sellers and in doing so has taken a lot of the "fun" out of it, and not to mention the profitability. Obviously as a business model they need to make it as customer friendly as possible but even when leaving feedback buyers have more power than the sellers now.

I realize there are alternatives to eBay such as eCRATER, but I'm not confident that works as well. When I put somethhing up on eBay I want to move it ASAP, I'm not really interested in establishing a "store" --- but then again with eBay's "Buy it now" thats essentially what you're doing. In pricing several items I planned to sell I would see one auction end for $8.99 but then a BIN go for $14.99, so I guess the way to do it is if you want to move something and aren't quite as concerned about taking a loss on it then an auction is the way to go --- but if you want to get a certain price on something and are willing to be patient BIN is the better option.
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Re: eBay

Postby PrfktTear » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:38 pm

So to continue on with my eBay subject you can look at the site from two perspectives --- a buyer and a seller.

As a buyer I have had relatively no problems. I think the biggest issue I had once was a woman had sold me some Disney exclusive Star Wars Potato Heads which she did not actually have in her possession and was waiting on the Disney Store in Orlando to get more. So something like six weeks went by with very poor communication on her part. Eventually I got refunded and I just moved on. Worst transaction selling was some dude bought a Happy Meal toy I was selling, took his sweet time paying, and then complained about that I over charged for shipping (I forget what it was but it was reasonable i.e. enough to cover actual shipping plus costs of travel, packing materials, etc.)

Personally, when I am looking to buy I factor the cost of shipping into how much I am willing to pay, i.e. if someone is charging ten bucks for shipping and I only want to pay fifty bucks for the item total I will only bid forty, etc. Of course I consider shipping an expense of collecting just as is the cost of gasoline plus time spent driving, going into stores to look for items, etc.

So any of you who have read the "Keep or Sell" thread know that I've been selling off a lot of stuff. Right now I've got nearly thirty items up for bid/BIN and probably have another 15-20 items that I would like to put up over the next week or so.

I've received a number of interesting messages from buyers, and thought I'd share a couple of them.

ZachSchneider1985 asks: Hello?how much is the shipping cost to germany? thx Zach --- Great question! However I have clearly stated in my auction that I will NOT ship internationally. I'm no xenophobe, and I certainly have nothing against my fellow foreign friends, however it just makes my life easier not selling internationally. This particular issue happens quite frequently. I have put settings on my auctions to only be available to North America/US, but still somehow they'll find the listing!

MehgatronDragun asks: If the figure is loose and is missing pieces how could you drescrive it as Mint Condition? Mint condition means brand new, works perfectly, never been touched. What you are describing is hardly mint condition. What you have is good condition at best with many parts missing.

So Meh-gatron Dragun is Rules Lawyering it up here. For informational purposes, what I am selling is a loose Revoltech Megatron. I did describe it as "Mint condtion" but was completely forthcoming that the figure is loose/incomplete and missing hands.

So lets be honest here, is the figure really truly 100% "mint" condition? No. Unless it rolled right off the distribution line then, and only then would it ever be truly "mint" condition, but in this world of collecting a lot of terms we use quite frequently have taken on different meanings than their original intent.

To me "mint condition" is really, really, really good condition, i.e. no scratches, loose joints, etc. So then why not just say "really, really, really good conditon" I don't know --- I think part of it is the hyperbole of selling. You want your item to sell and words like "mint condition" are catchy. Is it 110% accurate? Is it misrepresenting the product? I don't believe so.

If you look at the origin of "mint condition" it comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. It also tells you I is good at internets and can Google and use Wikipedia. A coin factory is a "mint" and the condition a coin leaves the factory is "mint condition" yet just like when you drive a car off the lot of a car dealership the condition and value of your car will decrease.

Nothing will ever be Mint, especially a product thats five years years old. Even if it's been wrapped in acid free tissue paper, stored in an airtight container in a vault in Fort Knox, even time will begin to degrade it. I bought the figure five years ago, played with it occasionally, posed it frequently, lost some parts, and eventually put it away in storage. It hasn't been chewed on, used as a projectile, or been ran over with a big wheels.

I don't think MehgatronDragun was questioning my description of the figure itself, just the use of the word mint --- At any rate I always post way more than enough pictures and provide fairly accurate descriptions (in plain engrish) to ensure that everyone knows exactly what they're in for. I make my auctions exactly how I would want them to be if I were buying that product, its like when I worked for Murder King and I actually used to get in trouble for taking too long to make burgers, but I tried to make each one perfect, like I was making it for myself. I guess thats a bad thing.

It goes without saying but I'm an honest person, I'm not out to misrepresent myself or a product I am selling. If it's missing parts I will be up front. If it's got a loose joint I will be up front about it. I sold off my Jazwares Space Ghost action figure and practically BEGGED people NOT to buy it because the toy itself was just so starfruit ---

So what say you gentlemen --- can an item still be "mint" even though its missing a few accessories? By and by large the Megatron is still in great condition and still has two hands, just missing the additional hands to make it all that moar cooler. Honestly, I hate to sell it this way but I've had it boxed up for a couple years now and doubt I'll ever find the spare hands. If I do find them I'd do my best to find whatever person bought them from me!
PrfktTear
Captain
Captain

Return to The Green Room